FantasyFootball.com Forums

The Official Home of Fantasy Football
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:01 pm 

Here's the link to the story:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-stock-sale-approved-by-nfl-131397703.html

I'm so excited, finally get a chance to become a part owner.

Early rumors are that there will be over 100,000 shares available and cost just over $200 per share

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:35 pm 

My only question is how are the shares going to be distributed?
I can't find any on how they were sold in 1997.

Is it by the Packer organization itself or will it be through a Wall Street Broker? (Merrill Lynch etc)

If it's through a Wall Street firm, good luck getting any. They always offer their big clients first shot.

If by the Packers, will it be first in with the money? lottery? limit of 1 share per person? min 10 shares?

Currently there's only 112,000 share owners and the last time they sold shares, it was 120,000 shares. I would assume that in 1997 with a red hot stock market that more people would have wanted to buy shares so I'm not sure on how they'll get disbursed.

If anyone has any info on how they did it in 1997 and/or how they plan on doing it this time, any info would be appreciated since I would like to get a share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:40 pm 

I'm in the same boat, I'm way behind on all my work at the moment because I've spent all morning trying to find out all that info. I really couldn't find anything about it either, so hopefully they keep us updated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:47 pm 

For some reason I remember the last time they where sold by lottery, I do believe. I'll look around as well and see if I can find anything on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:45 pm 

Falcoholic wrote:
For some reason I remember the last time they where sold by lottery, I do believe. I'll look around as well and see if I can find anything on it.

I'm not an expert on buying stock, but before you get too excited, I hope you realize the current stockholders get first dibs on any new stock sold. So who knows how much will actually be available to the public. The way it works is that a current stockholder holding 10% of currently held stock will own the rights to purchase 10% of any new stock for sale. This law exists to enable individuals to maintain their current % of ownership. Current stockholders not willing or able to buy the new stock they are entitled to are also allowed to sell their rights to purchase stock. This might be the best way to purchase the new stock... wait until the sale is officially announced and try to find a current owner who will sell you their rights (but I'm not sure if these rights can be sold to the public... it may be that they may only be sold to other current stockholders). :dunno:

[SIZE="1"]"Sweet memories, flashing very quickly by
Reminding me, and giving me a reason why
I know that, my goal is more than a thought
I'll be there, when I teach what I've been taught
And I've been taught...

Sweet memories
I never thought it would be like this
"[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]-A. Lifeson[/SIZE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:52 pm 

Here's what I found so far

Quote:
Green Bay Packers stock is not stock that you can just buy. It is offered by the Green Bay Packers, and sale of stock has to be approved by the existing shareholders. The last time stock was offered for sale was 1997-1998 for $200 per share to raise funds for improving Lambeau Field. The sale raised more than $24 million, about 1/3 of that in the first 11 days of the offering.

People who own shares of of GBP stock cannot be sold to others--it can only be sold back to the team. The stock doesn't appreciate in value, no dividends are paid, and there are no season ticket privileges. However, the stock certificate is really cool, and you can proudly say you own part of a professional football team!

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_do_I_buy_Green_Bay_Packers_stock#ixzz1aWKtR5tN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 pm 

FLY_IGGLES_FLY wrote:
I'm not an expert on buying stock, but before you get too excited, I hope you realize the current stockholders get first dibs on any new stock sold. So who knows how much will actually be available to the public. The way it works is that a current stockholder holding 10% of currently held stock will own the rights to purchase 10% of any new stock for sale. This law exists to enable individuals to maintain their current % of ownership. Current stockholders not willing or able to buy the new stock they are entitled to are also allowed to sell their rights to purchase stock. This might be the best way to purchase the new stock... wait until the sale is officially announced and try to find a current owner who will sell you their rights (but I'm not sure if these rights can be sold to the public... it may be that they may only be sold to other current stockholders). :dunno:

GB Packers' stock is different.
Stockholders are not allowed to sell/transfer the stock to anyone except immediate family or to sell it back to the club. This is so that no individual can takeover the club...it's restricted stock.

Also, since this isn't a publically traded nonprofit stock, I'm not sure that the club is required to offer it first to the current holders so they can maintain their percentage.

I also found that last time the demand wasn't there and they hard a hard time selling the stock and that's one reason why they still have so much un-issued stock. I still haven't found out yet on how they plan on issueing it and if they had used a broker last time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:04 pm 

gomaddox wrote:
GB Packers' stock is different.
Stockholders are not allowed to sell/transfer the stock to anyone except immediate family or to sell it back to the club. This is so that no individual can takeover the club...it's restricted stock.

Also, since this isn't a publically traded nonprofit stock, I'm not sure that the club is required to offer it first to the current holders so they can maintain their percentage.

[color="Red"]I also found that last time the demand wasn't there[/color] and they hard a hard time selling the stock and that's one reason why they still have so much un-issued stock. I still haven't found out yet on how they plan on issueing it and if they had used a broker last time.

Well that's not exactly shocking in light of all this other info. Unless I'm missing something, buying this stock essentially amounts to making a donation to the Packers, unless the team gets sold I guess... which probably isn't likely in our lifetime. I'm curious to know where all the revenue goes if dividends are never paid?

[SIZE="1"]"Sweet memories, flashing very quickly by
Reminding me, and giving me a reason why
I know that, my goal is more than a thought
I'll be there, when I teach what I've been taught
And I've been taught...

Sweet memories
I never thought it would be like this
"[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]-A. Lifeson[/SIZE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:11 pm 

here's what I found in a article at espn...It answers your question for now.

Quote:
The stock sale would be the fifth in Packers' history. There are currently 112,205 shareholders who own a total of 4.75 million shares.

Just as businesses have to enter a quiet period before going public, the Packers say they can't reveal much until regulatory issues are resolved.

"We intend to keep our fans informed of further developments to the greatest extent possible," said Jason Wied, the team's vice president of administration/general counsel.

Heres the link to the whole story...From what Im reading the Packers actually sell it to the public...Not through a broker...Its basically a donation to the Packers from stadium renovations...You can only sell it back to them at a reduced rate.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7084560/green-bay-packers-expected-offer-more-stock-public

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:35 pm 

It's now on Sale and you can get it in time for Christmas.

http://www.packers.com/

$250 per share plus a $25 processing fee.