FantasyFootball.com Forums

The Official Home of Fantasy Football
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:35 pm 

Well... I could only come up with 8 so far. And for the record, I'd like to preface this by saying that I think Donovan McNabb is a good QB, and a very good person. He has won a lot of football games here, and done some exceptional things for the local community. I honestly appreciate and respect him for that.

But anyway, here are the top 8 things I won't miss about having Donovan McNabb as our starting QB (in reverse order).

8: Hearing complaints from our starting QB's parents about how the fans are slighting and/or disrespecting their son. (Hopefully Kevin Kolb's parents realize their son is a grown man who can speak for himself and opt to refrain from complaining to the media if their son ever gets booed or criticized by fans.)

7: Lack of accountability. (This could theoretically be lumped in with lack of leadership. One specific example that comes to mind is after an Eagle loss this year in which McNabb's performance was typically erratic, his explanation for the loss was: "We showed our youth today...". This was essentially like saying "It was everybody's fault but mine", which couldn't have been further from the truth.)

6. Having a 10 year veteran QB who doesn't even know the league rules. (The revelation that McNabb had no idea a game officially ended in a tie after one OT period was absolutely mind-boggling)

5. The three play 2-minute drill (I'm not entirely sure that Andy Reid may not be the one to blame here, because for whatever reason, all of the plays in the Eagles 2-minute drill are always called from the sidelines. But I can say for sure that I've never heard McNabb complain about the 2-minute drill or ask for permission to call his own plays. After 11 years in the same offense, he should have been able to call his own plays. I sure hope this situation improves as Kolb gains experience. If it doesn't, I will know that Reid is to blame, but for now, I am placing at least part of the blame on McNabb.)

4: Constantly hearing about the 50 or so Eagles fans who booed when McNabb was drafted. (Most Eagles fans expected the team to draft Heisman trophy winner Ricky Williams. Any pick other than Williams would have been booed at that time. The fans were not booing McNabb. They were booing the organization for not picking Ricky Williams.)

3. Watching a 10 year veteran QB make rookie mistakes. (I can't count how many times McNabb threw passes to receivers 2 yards short of the end zone with no timeouts remaining at the end of the half causing the clock to run out before the field-goal unit could get on the field. Is it really that difficult to understand that in that situation your only two options are to find someone in the end zone or throw the ball away?)

2: Lack of leadership from the QB position. (Any team that expects to win a Super Bowl needs it's QB to step up and be the team's leader. McNabb has never shown that type of leadership ability.)

And finally, the #1 thing I won't miss about having McNabb as our starting QB is...

1: Watching my QB laugh and clap on the field after over- or underthrowing a wide open receiver at a critical juncture of a crucial game. (This is the one thing that sticks in my crawl more than anything I've ever seen from any hometown Philadelphia pro athlete. It's bad enough to see a guy miss a wide open receiver and blow a game that should have been won. But to see him just openly laugh about it and clap his hands was like pouring salt on an open wound, and McNabb has done this on a regular basis over the past 11 seasons. I don't care how many games we might lose this year with Kolb at QB. At least I know my QB won't be laughing all the way to the bank afterwards.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:43 am 

FLY_IGGLES_FLY wrote:
Well... I could only come up with 8 so far. And for the record, I'd like to preface this by saying that I think Donovan McNabb is a good QB, and a very good person. He has won a lot of football games here, and done some exceptional things for the local community. I honestly appreciate and respect him for that.

But anyway, here are the top 8 things I won't miss about having Donovan McNabb as our starting QB (in reverse order).

8: Hearing complaints from our starting QB's parents about how the fans are slighting and/or disrespecting their son. (Hopefully Kevin Kolb's parents realize their son is a grown man who can speak for himself and opt to refrain from complaining to the media if their son ever gets booed or criticized by fans.)

7: Lack of accountability. (This could theoretically be lumped in with lack of leadership. One specific example that comes to mind is after an Eagle loss this year in which McNabb's performance was typically erratic, his explanation for the loss was: "We showed our youth today...". This was essentially like saying "It was everybody's fault but mine", which couldn't have been further from the truth.)

6. Having a 10 year veteran QB who doesn't even know the league rules. (The revelation that McNabb had no idea a game officially ended in a tie after one OT period was absolutely mind-boggling)

5. The three play 2-minute drill (I'm not entirely sure that Andy Reid may not be the one to blame here, because for whatever reason, all of the plays in the Eagles 2-minute drill are always called from the sidelines. But I can say for sure that I've never heard McNabb complain about the 2-minute drill or ask for permission to call his own plays. After 11 years in the same offense, he should have been able to call his own plays. I sure hope this situation improves as Kolb gains experience. If it doesn't, I will know that Reid is to blame, but for now, I am placing at least part of the blame on McNabb.)

4: Constantly hearing about the 50 or so Eagles fans who booed when McNabb was drafted. (Most Eagles fans expected the team to draft Heisman trophy winner Ricky Williams. Any pick other than Williams would have been booed at that time. The fans were not booing McNabb. They were booing the organization for not picking Ricky Williams.)

3. Watching a 10 year veteran QB make rookie mistakes. (I can't count how many times McNabb threw passes to receivers 2 yards short of the end zone with no timeouts remaining at the end of the half causing the clock to run out before the field-goal unit could get on the field. Is it really that difficult to understand that in that situation your only two options are to find someone in the end zone or throw the ball away?)

2: Lack of leadership from the QB position. (Any team that expects to win a Super Bowl needs it's QB to step up and be the team's leader. McNabb has never shown that type of leadership ability.)

And finally, the #1 thing I won't miss about having McNabb as our starting QB is...

1: Watching my QB laugh and clap on the field after over- or underthrowing a wide open receiver at a critical juncture of a crucial game. (This is the one thing that sticks in my crawl more than anything I've ever seen from any hometown Philadelphia pro athlete. It's bad enough to see a guy miss a wide open receiver and blow a game that should have been won. But to see him just openly laugh about it and clap his hands was like pouring salt on an open wound, and McNabb has done this on a regular basis over the past 11 seasons. I don't care how many games we might lose this year with Kolb at QB. At least I know my QB won't be laughing all the way to the bank afterwards.)

Good and funny stuff Iggles- probably connected to your #1 reason, but also hated after the game if we got our as##s kicked, McNabb would be laughing it up with the players from the other team. It was like they are telling jokes and making plans to hit the bar togther in about an hour. I certainly don't mind a good show of sportsmanship and a respectful handshake after a game, but let's not make it a party- especially when we just got spanked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:46 pm 

BigTD wrote:
Good and funny stuff Iggles- probably connected to your #1 reason, but also hated after the game if we got our as##s kicked, McNabb would be laughing it up with the players from the other team. It was like they are telling jokes and making plans to hit the bar togther in about an hour. I certainly don't mind a good show of sportsmanship and a respectful handshake after a game, but let's not make it a party- especially when we just got spanked.

You must not have ever played rugby--after a game it is traditional to have a few beers together, relax and talk over the game. Great fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:21 am 

osterf wrote:
You must not have ever played rugby--after a game it is traditional to have a few beers together, relax and talk over the game. Great fun.

Nope- can't say I have ever played Rugby. If it is part of a games tradition- I can understand it. I have played both competitive football and soccer games where we have done just what you describe as well- but to me the key difference there is we are playing for ourselves and not also for the routing interests of fans.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way when the outward appearance by a professional player is that a loss affects him less than how I feel. Some say that is just McNabb's personality and that may be true, I still don't care for it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:45 am 

BigTD wrote:
Nope- can't say I have ever played Rugby. If it is part of a games tradition- I can understand it. I have played both competitive football and soccer games where we have done just what you describe as well- but to me the key difference there is we are playing for ourselves and not also for the routing interests of fans.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way when the outward appearance by a professional player is that a loss affects him less than how I feel. Some say that is just McNabb's personality and that may be true, I still don't care for it though.

While I understand the idea of trading McNabb (unable to win superbowl, FA after the season), I just don't understand the idea of trading him within the division. I'm sure Washington had the best offer (2nd rounder + pick in 2011), but ship him off to Oakland. Oh, and the 49ers and Panthers are idiots for not getting in on this. Alex Smith? Matt Moore? Really? Teams value draft picks in too high of regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:20 pm 

The_Oracle wrote:
While I understand the idea of trading McNabb (unable to win superbowl, FA after the season), I just don't understand the idea of trading him within the division. I'm sure Washington had the best offer (2nd rounder + pick in 2011), but ship him off to Oakland. Oh, and the 49ers and Panthers are idiots for not getting in on this. Alex Smith? Matt Moore? Really? Teams value draft picks in too high of regard.

I agree that trading him within the division is not a very good move, but actually think there was less interest around the league than what the Eagles were letting on. I think when the Redskins came a knockin with the offer of a 2nd rounder and a 3rd/4th rounder next year the Eagles decided they better jump on it. The Eagles front office boxed themselves into a bit of a corner IMO when they said they were willing to trade all three QB's. Problem is- Kolb is their future and he was going to command a kings ransome, noone really wants Mike Vick short of a 6th or 7th round pick, which pretty much left McNabb as the logical piece to try and move. Unfortunately, other teams were willing to call their bluff and in the end took the best offer on the table at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:21 pm 

The_Oracle wrote:

I agree to a point that trading him within the division is somewhat risky. Trades in general are fairly rare in the NFL, and trades within divisions are almost unheard of. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about this deal coming back to haunt us. But I definitely think there's a much better chance the Redskins end up regretting this than the Eagles. Furthermore, I can understand the organization wanting to send McNabb to a place where he has a chance to be happy. Plus, I have not seen any evidence whatsoever that any other teams made any legitimate offers comparable to what Washington gave us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:26 pm 

The Eagles had no choice but to trade him to Washington. McNabb was holding Philly hostage, saying that's the only place he'd accept a trade. And they've got Kolb in their other ear saying he won't sign an extension if he's not named the starter. And with Vick grossly overpaid, they couldn't afford to keep all 3 and make them all happy. McNabb backed them into a corner and what played out was really all the team could do.

With that being said, I'll add 2 more things I won't miss about McNabb to round out the top 10:

10) Watching a game-winning drive evaporate in the form of a poorly thrown and ill timed interception. Even going back to the Super Bowl loss against the Pats, the Eagles could have (and arguably should have) won that game. But a poorly thrown (though admittedly catchable) ball led to a game-ending INT. It's happened more often than I care to remember and I know Kolb will be more accurate and accountable to himself and his team after a mistake.

9) Seeing balls thrown behind or at the feet of wide open receivers. It was a trademark of McNabb's and something you would expect to have been corrected after a decade in the National Football League. It made me pull my hair out and it's something I certainly won't miss.

[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Senior Editor, FantasyFootball.com[/SIZE][/color]

Follow me on TWITTER and Facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:32 pm 

enjoy not having a top flight NFL qb :beer2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:02 pm 

TheLoneRangers wrote:
enjoy not having a top flight NFL qb :beer2:

Back atcha :neenerneener:

[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Senior Editor, FantasyFootball.com[/SIZE][/color]

Follow me on TWITTER and Facebook