FantasyFootball.com Forums

The Official Home of Fantasy Football
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stafford v. Sanchez
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:11 am 

Andrew,

Very nice analysis of Stafford and Sanchez.
Now that their destinations are settled with Stafford to DET and Sanchez to NYJ:

1. Which will make the better Dynasty League QB?
2. Which one will see the field first?

Thanks,

Leagues:
FFPIL - [color="Green"]Louisiana Swamp Dragons[/color] - GM
Ultimate Fantasy Football League (Dynasty) - [color="DarkOrange"]Armpits of UFFL[/color] (aka : Cajun Critters)
New Blood Dynasty League - [color="SeaGreen"]Swamp Rats[/color]
Cradle To Grave FFL - College/Pro Hybrid Keeper - [color="RoyalBlue"]Mutant Mutts[/color]
Blitz Invitational 2 - All IDP - [color="Red"]Goal Line Guardians[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:56 am 

To me, the answer is Sanchez to both of those questions. Stafford is expected to sit for at least one year while Sanchez will compete for the starting gig right away. Sure, Stafford will eventually have Calvin Johnson at his disposal, but Sanchez just has so much more to work with and more talent around him on both sides of the ball.

[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Senior Editor, FantasyFootball.com[/SIZE][/color]

Follow me on TWITTER and Facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 am 

I agree with Steve. I think Sanchez could start from day one and be a decent QB2 this year. I think Jerricho Cotchery has the makings of a #1 WR.  Since I think Sanchez is the better player, I also think Sanchez makes for the better dynasty QB. I actually think if Stafford sits a little bit and the Lions offensive line improves he has just as many offensive weapons as Sanchez. Detroit could've gotten an grade A draft if they had taken Michael Oher with the 20th pick over Pettigrew. Instead I consider them one of the biggest losers in the draft. What good is Stafford (who isn't a franchise QB by himself) without a franchise LT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:07 am 

Thanks Steve and Andrew.

I have pick 1.02 and I am QB starved with only Delhomme and a few prospects in the wings.
I figured the Jets have a serious motive in moving up for Sanchez, and it was not to have him be a clipboard holder for two seasons.

Leagues:
FFPIL - [color="Green"]Louisiana Swamp Dragons[/color] - GM
Ultimate Fantasy Football League (Dynasty) - [color="DarkOrange"]Armpits of UFFL[/color] (aka : Cajun Critters)
New Blood Dynasty League - [color="SeaGreen"]Swamp Rats[/color]
Cradle To Grave FFL - College/Pro Hybrid Keeper - [color="RoyalBlue"]Mutant Mutts[/color]
Blitz Invitational 2 - All IDP - [color="Red"]Goal Line Guardians[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:43 am 

Though I do agree with my colleagues that Sanchez is going to come in and compete for the starting job this year and Stafford will likely have to wait at least one year to see the field, I believe the answer to your first question might be Stafford. Believe it or not, I actually trust this new coaching regime (did I just say that?) and Stafford will have one think Sanchez won't... Calvin Johnson.

Like him or not, Johnson (in my opinion) might be the best WR in football. Better than old Moss and old Owens, better than Andre Johnson (though I like that guy) and possibly even better than Larry Fitzgerald (toss up). The dude caught TD passes from four different QBs in 2008 and almost made it five. Johnson will make any QB better. Sanchez doesn't have that luxury. Even though Goldhawk thinks Cotchery can be a WR1 (I'm still not sold on that, btw), he's not even in Johnson's class.

So, if we're talking about a true dynasty QB for 2010 or 2011, I'd have to lead towards Stafford. If we're talking about '09, I think it's clearly Sanchez. Just my two cents.

e: craig@fantasyfootball.com
http://www.twitter.com/Fantasy_Planet
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Planet-Games/120174388886
http://www.winners.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:47 am 

" wrote:

Though I do agree with my colleagues that Sanchez is going to come in and compete for the starting job this year and Stafford will likely have to wait at least one year to see the field, I believe the answer to your first question might be Stafford. Believe it or not, I actually trust this new coaching regime (did I just say that?) and Stafford will have one think Sanchez won't... Calvin Johnson.

Like him or not, Johnson (in my opinion) might be the best WR in football. Better than old Moss and old Owens, better than Andre Johnson (though I like that guy) and possibly even better than Larry Fitzgerald (toss up). The dude caught TD passes from four different QBs in 2008 and almost made it five. Johnson will make any QB better. Sanchez doesn't have that luxury. Even though Goldhawk thinks Cotchery can be a WR1 (I'm still not sold on that, btw), he's not even in Johnson's class.

So, if we're talking about a true dynasty QB for 2010 or 2011, I'd have to lead towards Stafford. If we're talking about '09, I think it's clearly Sanchez. Just my two cents.

We're all entitled to our opinions . . . even if they're wrong Image

[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Senior Editor, FantasyFootball.com[/SIZE][/color]

Follow me on TWITTER and Facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:02 am 

Takes a big man to admit when he's wrong... I'm proud of you Steve. You've grown!!!

e: craig@fantasyfootball.com
http://www.twitter.com/Fantasy_Planet
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Planet-Games/120174388886
http://www.winners.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 am 

" wrote:
" wrote:

We're all entitled to our opinions . . . even if they're wrong Image

Did I hear a bet? Image

Someone has to take Steve down a peg. The Prez vs. the Senior Editor.....CAGE MATCH !

Week is over, but I still own Falcoholic. :dance:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:32 am 

I respectfully disagree with Craig on this one. First of all Calvin Johnson is not better than Andre Johnson OR Larry Fitzgerald.  Andre Johnson has had 2 out of 3 seasons with 100+ catches and the one in the middle would've if he didn't miss 7 games. He's also done this with Schaub and SAGE ROSENFALS rotating back and forth at QB and a make shift O line (much like Detroits)

He also had an 1100 yard season in his second season with DAVID CARR as his QB!!!!!!!!!

Now that that's taken care of.....How is Stafford going to throw it to Calvin from his back (without a competent o-line)? If INTs don't matter than MAYBE you have an argument but considering the situation and Stafford's college tendency to throw it to the other team that has to be considered. I'd be more than willing to lay down a bet on Sanchez over Stafford

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:08 pm 

Long term I go with Stafford because he is going to sit for a little while, which might not be a bad thing. Short term, Sanchez is your man. But, remember that Sanchez really doesn't have that many starts under his belt yet and could also be a holdout in NY!